Biology, biomedicine and genetics
Facultés Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix (University of Namur), (Olivier Toussaint)
About the workstream
The critical importance of biogerontology to ageing research has been recognised widely in the Member States and in allocation of resources under European research funding since FP5 in 1999.
Rather than duplicate this considerable effort FUTURAGE plans to work closely with existing projects, notably the LINK-AGE (Coordination Action under FP6 project which finished in December 2009) and WhyWeAge (Specific Support Action under FP7). WhyWeAge will establish a road map for European research on the molecular aspects of healthy human ageing. The Coordinator of both LINK-AGE and WhyWeAge is Olivier Touissant, at the University of Namur, and he will lead the Biogerontology theme of FUTURAGE.
Both LINK-AGE and WhyWeAge draw on an impressive consortium of leading figures in the field and can be relied upon to deliver high quality science. Through a previous series of meetings, researcher exchanges, summer schools, topic research group meetings and a preliminary biogerontological road map meeting, LINK-AGE has already identified twelve priority topics in this field:
- biomarkers of ageing
- vascular ageing
- mitochondria and senescence
- oxidative stress and protein damage
- telomeres and DNA damage
- immunosenescence and inflammation
- obesity/diabetes/nutrition/lipid and glucose metabolism
- muscle weakness and sarcopenia/physical exercises
- skin age-related modifications and elastic tissues
- nuclear receptors and ageing/osteoporosis/circadian rhythmicity
- gender related ageing
- biotechnology, bioethics and recruitment of participants in clinical studies linked with molecular biogerontology
Workshops and reports
There are no specific biogerontology workshops being undertaken as part of the FUTURAGE project. The parallel WhyWeAge project has been funded to create a road map for European research on the molecular aspects of healthy human ageing through a series of scientific workshops. The WhyWeAge roadmap will be used to inform the biogerontological aspects of the FUTURAGE Road Map.